The name of the cave is derived from the abundance of reflective calcite crystals, making it sparkle like the fabled treasures of King Solomon’s mines.
An adjacent cave, known as Queen of Sheba Cave, was separated from King Solomons Cave by a cave wall collapse some time prior to its discovery.
King Solomons Cave has two entrances: a chimney opening in the ceiling of ‘Solomons Temple’ and a lower entrance, which was excavated in 1929.
King Solomons Cave is no longer an active cave in a hydrological sense. Due to a past lowering of the water table, the waters which created the cave have long since abandoned its passages for lower levels. Speleothem, or cave decoration, formation in the cave however is vigorous, relying on minor flows resulting from percolation of rainwater on the slopes above the cave.
Tours 11.30 am, 12.30 pm, 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm daily, plus additional tours at 10.30 am and 4.30 pm from 1 Dec – 30 Apr.